How Glucophage can help you, and possible side effects on you

How Glucophage can help you, and possible side effects on you

How Metformin Can Treat Common Conditions

Metformin is a prescription drug used to treat common conditions such as Diabetes. It is primarily used to treat polycystic ovaries and weight gain due to medications used for treating psychoses. The generic names for this drug are Glumetza, Glucophage, and Fortamet. Metformin as a whole is a well tested drug and for the most part is safe. However there is a question that arises whether it can be used to treat patients who do not suffer from a chronic condition for weight loss. There have been studies that have shown that it is safe to use for these exact reasons.  The drug has shown to decrease appetite and oppose unfavorable fat storage in peripheral tissues.

What does Metformin do

With using this drug there are probable side effects that people should be aware of. It has been shown to cause blood glucose levels to drop too low in people who do not suffer from Diabetes. This can lead to a direct cause of kidney damage if the issue is not given attention to. Also Metformin can cause minor side effects such as headaches, muscle pain and weakness, nausea, vomiting and stomach intestinal issues. Where as in men it may also cause reduction in testosterone levels and sex drive. All of these side effects need to be monitored by your primary care physician no matter what the drug is being used for.

How to get Metformin

With that said Metformin is not an over the counter prescription. With any medication such as that it is recommend that you go through your doctor for. This is the easiest way to obtain the drug in a safe manner in Australia or anywhere in the world. Taking this medication is not advised to be done so in any other fashion. Though the weight loss goals seem nice, it is not worth compromising your health to do so. With the safety of visiting your doctor it can be ensured that it is a healthy weight loss or control over your chronic health problems. Any side effects can be avoided for so you may not have to stop using the drug all together or cause health problems that were avoidable.

Buy Glucophage in Australia online

Other uses

I might add that it is not a very common way people think to use to lose weight. This drug is normally used for strictly common chronic conditions. Not until recently did it even start to be considered for weight loss. That being said I do believe that it is still in the experimenting phase as we are not completely sure as to what the drug does over time. If it starts causing side effects than you are usually advised to stop taking it. You have to be weaned off of the drug however or it can cause those side effects caused above and more with your body going through withdrawals. Which it is why it is very important for you to be monitored at all times by a doctor while taking Metformin just in case it starts causing issues.

Metformin and aging

One last interesting issue that Metformin is tested to be used in is anti aging. In recent studies it has been shown to stop the aging of progressive genes as well as cancer. Once again these studies are only in the experiment phase and we are not sure that will not cause issues down the road. But if it does show due cause to aid these conditions that maybe it will stop the suffering of even more patients in the future.

Metformin for Diabetes

Overall I think that a drug used for Diabetes strictly being able to be used in other conditions is extremely thoughtful and amazing. The fact we can study other conditions and see results is a step forward. We must bear in mind the risks but if there is a chance that we will help more than hurt, than I think it is worth the research. Everyone struggles with something in there life and there is an urgent need to provide research on new drugs to treat conditions. Modifying a drug is cost saving and time saving for people who need it the most. If we did this with even more diseases maybe even more people would be suffering less and be able to live life a little bit easier.

Peter Williams

About the author

Peter Williams administrator

Medical practitioner from Sydney, NSW.

10 comments so far

Adam CollingPosted on11:36 pm - May 3, 2020

This stuff does not work because it makes my blood sugar rise. It is an okay drug for the most part it helped me stay calm and deal with problems better. They things about this is that they give this drug to too many people. This is handed out too much. They need to control how much they give out.

Spencer LawsonPosted on1:27 am - May 4, 2020

The endocrinologist prescribed a special diet and strict control of glucose levels and Glucophage. I take daily in a dosage of 850 mg. During the time I take medicament, I lost 6 pounds. It is a pity that you can not drink alcohol during treatment. Generally, side effects do not interfere with a normal lifestyle.

Hugo AllenPosted on10:44 am - May 5, 2020

I started taking Glucophage late last year to help with PCOS and diabetes. I am pre-diabetic and I desperately do not want to actually become diabetic. I am taking the extended release version. I really don’t like taking it because I am having a lot of diarrhea. I am sick of being the bathroom ALL the time. Since I have been taking Glucophage, I have been able to lose about thirty pounds with no change to my diet and exercise routine. I was already watching my diet, trying very hard to drastically reduce sugar and simple carbs. I was also going on long walks everyday with my dog and doing weight training exercises three times a week. Glucophage seems to be helping with the weight loss, plus I no longer feel nauseous when I get hungry anymore, so that is a huge plus. I guess I can deal with the diarrhea and hopefully that will taper down too.

Marcus TurnerPosted on4:25 pm - May 7, 2020

Glucophage is used together with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Glucophage is sometimes used together with insulin or other medications, but metformin is not for treating type 1 diabetes.According to research, metformin can help some people lose weight. However, it’s not clear why metformin may cause weight loss.

Bodhi PearcePosted on5:08 am - May 8, 2020

Glucophage has been very helpful for me in managing my Type 2 diabetes. While I work hard to eat right and stay active, sometimes you need some extra support.

Dominic TranPosted on2:59 pm - May 9, 2020

When my mother was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, they put her on Glucophage. She has been using it for 3 months now and she has great improvements so far.

Felix LianePosted on6:39 pm - May 10, 2020

I was recently diagnosed with diabetes type 2. My doctor told me that because of my diet and my genetics (my grandfather also had it), I was predisposed to this condition and my readings were well within that range. He prescribed Glucophage, or Metformin. I am starting with a 500 mg tablet twice a day. Since I’ve been taking it a month ago, my A1C has been better although it is still high. My doctor also told me that I need to improve my diet as well as start to exercise more. So I get up earlier now, take my morning dose of Metformin, and go out for a 3 mile walk at the track near my home. Metformin can be taken with or without food but I recommend taking it with your meal if you have a sensitive stomach. Other than that I have had no other ill effects from taking Metformin, or Glucophage.

Lincoln O’BrienPosted on7:16 am - May 11, 2020

I took Glucophage for a while, but I noticed that I was going to the bathroom a lot more with taking it. Food would go right through me while I was on it, so I eventually had my doc switch me to another drug. A few people I know have had this problem and some don’t. It’s a good medication, but the side effects weren’t tolerable in my situation.

Levi RichardsPosted on2:06 pm - May 12, 2020

I have been taking 500 mg for about 4 years now and honestly it has been helping me tremendously with my quality of life. I have got some bloodwork done and I can safely say that I will be totally living longer without it. I tried metformin and honestly there were no substantial effects and so I tired this medication and everything finally changed for the better within the course of the week .

Edward HamblinPosted on1:10 am - May 15, 2020

I am on 500mg immediate-release Glucophage three times a day with meals. I don’t feel any different, but my readings are more in the normal range when I don’t forget to take it. My doctor wanted to switch me to the extended-release version, but I choose to stay as is. A friend of mine on the extended release gets his blood sugar really low.